“Good fences make good neighbors” is an old quote that is a common adage in many cultures. Robert Frost used it one of his poems, though he was not the originator of it.
Rather than being an attempt to separate one from one’s neighbors, the quote is thought to mean that it is a healthy practice to maintain one’s boundaries, whether it is physical boundaries or emotional ones.
Fences Are a Great Way to Set Physical Boundaries
We usually want fences for one (or more) of three reasons: to keep something in, to keep something out, or to enhance the look of our property. Fences are sometimes a do-it-yourself project.
However, if you want a really good-looking fence that does the job it is intended to do and looks great while doing it, it is good to have a fence installed by a fencing professional like the All American Fence Company of Delaware.
Before You Have a Fence Installed
There are certain things to consider before you have a fence installed:
- When you have a fence installed, you definitely want one that appeals to you. After all, you will have to look at it day after day.
- Will the material you have chosen ruggedly stand up to kids, pets, and weather well?
- Will it need painting often?
- Does it blend with the style of your house?
- Does it allow easy access to your property?
- Is it easy to mow around?
Benefits of Residential Fencing
Beyond the reason you may have for installing a fence, it can offer several other benefits:
Homes today are being built closer and closer to each other as land in some areas is less available. Privacy in closely built homes is difficult to achieve without a fence, especially in the back yard.
- Insurance premium reduction
Many insurance companies charge an extra premium if your swimming pool is not enclosed by a fence that can be locked.
Fenced areas provide a secure play area for children to play safely without constant monitoring. They also offer a secure area for pets to get some quality outdoor time safely.
- Increased property value
Well-built fences that enhance the look of your property also increase its value. They are a great sales point when you are selling your house.
The Costs of Installed Fencing
Fencing companies like All American Fence Company gladly provide a free estimate of fencing costs.
They realize that fencing can be a major addition to your home and they will work with you as you get financing.
Angie’s List estimates that the average cost of installing fencing is around $4,578.00.
This cost varies with the size of the area fenced and the materials you choose for your fencing. Wrought iron fencing is the most expensive to have installed, with vinyl a close second.
Wood fences that are 6 feet tall are the next, followed by wooden fences that are 4 feet tall, and last by chain link fencing.
Factors That Influence the Costs of Installed Fencing
Finally, several issues can increase the cost of fencing:
- Whether your site is accessible for the contractor to deliver materials to can affect the final cost.
- How much preparation to the landscape the contractor has to do before installing the fence is also a factor.
- The type of land on which the fence will be installed comes into play as the fence posts need to be planted into the ground, and if digging is difficult due to hard soil, rocky areas, or wet areas, the costs will increase.
- Trees and slopes also offer challenges to the contractor that increase labor costs.
There are many things to consider when thinking about putting in a fence that contribute to the overall cost of the project. It’s always a good idea to talk to several different installation companies and get estimates before you install so you have the best idea of what you will pay for your new fence.